East Bay Housing Organizations (EBHO) is the leading affordable housing advocacy coalition serving Alameda and Contra Costa Counties through its mission to preserve, protect and expand affordable housing opportunities through education, advocacy and coalition building. This dynamic non-profit membership organization includes more than 500 organizations and community leaders advocating for affordable housing development and favorable housing policies at the local and regional levels.
EBHO’s broad-based membership includes non-profit affordable housing developers, architects, planners, contractors, homeless and housing advocates, affordable housing residents and resident councils, service providers, fair housing agencies, tenant advocates, community and interfaith organizations and activists, clergy and congregations, labor unions, environmental organizations, lending institutions and financial intermediaries, policy organizations, and city and county agencies and staff.
The Community Faith and Justice Organizer is responsible for engaging a wide range of EBHO’s members in campaigns for housing justice. About a third of the Organizer’s time will be spent coordinating EBHO’s Faith and Justice Committee, an initiative to broaden and deepen the engagement of faith-based organizations and leaders as well as other social justice advocates for affordable housing for the lowest income communities. The organizer will also help EBHO members and partners take a moral stand on other intersectional issues such as presence and services for unhoused individuals, those just leaving incarceration and recent immigrants, among others.
Other responsibilities include working with our other organizers on outreach, recruitment, mobilization in our Resident and Commnity Organizing Program (RCOP). This Program focuses on leadership development of affordable housing resident members and brings residents with lived experience of housing instability into EBHO committees and campaigns.
The goals of the Faith and Justice Committee and Resident Organizing programs are to advance housing justice and EBHO’s campaigns through:
1) Providing affordable housing education and technical assistance specifically tailored to faith groups;
2) Organizing strong local, regional and interfaith networks for affordable housing and creating linkages with other social justice issues and organizations such as economic, racial, and immigration justice;
3) Organizing faith-based organizations and leaders in affordable housing advocacy campaigns;
4) Fostering potential partnerships between faith-based organizations and non-profit housing developers and providers;
5) Building effective leadership and commitments to affordable housing within faith-based communities,
6)Engaging and supporting EBHO’s current resident leaders,
7) helping to expand EBHO’s resident organizing,
8) providing leadership and facilitation to EBHO’s Leadership Academy program,
9) connecting residents, faith leaders and other EBHO members together in powerful campaigns for housing justice in the East Bay. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative organizer with experience working with faith-based communities and a commitment to affordable housing. The Community Faith and Justice Organizer reports to the Program Director, with support from the Lead Organizer.
Read the full job description and information on how to apply here: